Friday, September 12, 2008

The tentative first step

Finally I have found some time to myself to set up my blog. For the last few days I have been wondering if I am really cut out for EDES 501 as I am not nearly as computer literate as I would like to be. However, Will Richardson's book finally arrived in my mailbox, and after having read the first two chapters I am very intrigued by all that Web 2.0 tools (Is that what they are called?) have to offer me and my classes. Not only am I intrigued, but I keep telling myself that it will be good for me (and for my students) to be a learner again.

With the arrival of Will Richardson's book, came Gwen Solomon & Lynn Schrum's book web 2.0 new tools, new schools. My comfort level is starting to increase as I have the familiar feeling of books in my hands. I am still one of those people who prints almost everything off of the computer (So much for the paperless society.) because I like to physically feel what I am working with. Perhaps that is why I like gardening and cooking so much.

I am excited about this course and all that I hope to gain from it. Imagine what I will be able to do in my English and Social Studies classes . . . .

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the blogosphere!

I understand your trepidation (and feeling of great comfort to have a book in your hands as you start out on this journey!)...I think most people are in the same boat. The new terminology and new ideas is very much like learning a new language! I'm glad you've decided to stick with it and I look forward to reading morea bout your adventures in web 2.0!