Monday, September 22, 2008

Some "ah-ha" moments

I feel like some things are starting to come together for me with regards to EDES 501. Even though I still feel completely overwhelmed by all of the information that I am reading and learning about, I finally figured out what I need to do to meet the requirements of the course. It was slightly stressful last week when I realized a little too late that I was supposed to create an inquiry question for further discussion. However, now I have reread everything, and laid it all out on a calendar - this will help to keep the visual learner in me organized.

One aspect of setting up my blog that confused me was how to customize my blog. I was viewing all of these great blogs from class members and couldn't figure out how they made this work for them. However, as I was playing around the other day, I discovered the "add accessories" section - now I can be just like everyone else! I also figured out how to add blog addresses to my blog. I decided to add only professional development blogs, rather than my class member's blogs because I already have their blogs linked to bloglines.

I have been thinking about Flickr and wondering where exactly all the pictures are stored. Is there going to come a time when Flickr won't be able to continue storing my pictures because I will have used up my personal storage space? I don't quite understand the finer points of how all of the information is kept on the Internet, and likely this is why I am wondering about these things.

I still haven't set up my Facebook account, but I will work on this in the coming days. There is so much out there to explore that sometimes it feels like a black hole. I find myself exploring one thing, and then going off in several different directions because it is so easy to do with all of the hyperlinks, etc. This must be how many of our students have become so knowledgeable about the Web and what it has to offer.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Hi Jes,

You are experiencing what we all go through as part of the inquiry process--the stage where you feel overwhelmed and unsure about what to do next. It's perfectly normal--it will get better, I promise! And it sounds like you are already starting to work through some of those initial feelings about the inquiry and Web 2.0.