Monday, October 13, 2008

Podcasting with limited success!

I had a great time creating this podcast featuring my daughter's recitation of a couple of nursery rhymes that she recently learned. However, there were numerous steps that I needed to follow, which I would not have been able to do without Podcasting for Teachers & Students by Tony Vincent. Listed below are the relatively easy, straightforward steps that I followed:
1) Download Audacity - a program which allows one to record and edit audio
2) Practice, and "pump up" my daughter's enthusiasm about talking into the computer - a fairly easy task, as it is still relatively novel for her.
3) Record her nursery rhymes
4) Edit the file to get rid of some of the "dead air" - I could have deleted her comment about having to "concentrate," but I thought it was cute.
5) Add some sound effects using SoundSnap - I found a great "water" sound, as well as a turkey gobbling. Then I had to find and add a "burp" otherwise the rhyme doesn't make sense, and my daughter doesn't include one.
6) Export file to my desktop
7) Download Levelator - a program which "levels out the volume"
8) Add identifying tags in iTunes
9) Create artwork using Piknik - this was a fun and allowed my creative side to come out. I could see myself spending a lot of time doing this
10) Add artwork to my podcast
11) Save the file to my desktop
Up to this point the steps were fairly easy, although some more time consuming than others, but this is where I hit a stumbling block. I wanted to have my podcast accessible on my blog. I spent several hours trying to figure this out and have now decided to attach a link for fear that I won't be able to accomplish this today.
I hope that you enjoy Jes' Podcast! I know that it makes me smile when I hear it, but I am slightly biased.

2 comments:

katkin said...

A star is born! Your daughter is terrific, Jes!

-katkin

Joanne said...

Jes...your daughter's performance was amazing! Great job to both of you! And I don't think it is your bias--it made me smile too and it is very cute!